Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

2014

It's almost February, but I'm not going to let that stop me from writing about 2014. A year of haiku nearly over and a new one beginning, I got so used to writing twenty fourteen that writing twenty fifteen seems strange. Everyone makes those jokes about writing the wrong year on checks, but who even writes checks anymore? I'm starting to forget my own handwriting and sadly it's getting harder and harder to force myself to drag pen against paper. No amount of pretty paper journals is going to make it any easier. And while we're saying goodbye to paper and pens, let's lower our heads for mixtapes and mix CDS and look forward to the playlist.

I feel lazy and sad for enjoying streaming music. I never had an mp3 player. I was still using a clunky portable CD player when people were using iPods. Then my ears started ringing and I just sort of gave up the idea that I'd be the next Rob Gordon. I loved music, but I kinda forget till I started using Turntable.fm again in 2013 and then that stopped being a thing just like every else I love dearly. 

So instead of being sad, I'm here to share some new and old favorites that summed up 2014 for me. 12 songs for 12 months.

Some interesting tidbits:

"Gimme Something Good" by Ryan Adams -- This album came out on my birthday. I feel like that's reason enough to include it on my list, but let's face it, I can't quit him. He's just someone I want to be friends with. Seriously.

"Brilliant Disguise" by Bruce Springstreen -- Okay, okay...I loved this song when I was a little girl and I honestly thought I didn't like a single Bruce Springsteen song up to this point. I was wrong. I was really, really wrong.

"Unity" by Reel Big Fish -- I got this song stuck in my head because I was playing Mass Effect 2. Then I realized I missed ska. I'm eagerly awaiting for ska to make a big comeback in 2015. In any case, it's making a big comeback in my life.



No comments: